 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6084
Re: CNE Turbine Re: Fw: 8475 seemed to be lacking.....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 05:24:44 GMT

"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message

Iain and I went over on Boxing Day.  It's pretty neat, actually.  The
nacelle (or lack of one) is nice and rounded compared to the Pickering
turbine.  One of the things you notice is just how large it is, because
the

It is also interesting to note that the Lagerwey turbine has no gearbox -
the rotor is coupled directly (or by means of a clutch, I am not sure) to
the generator, there is no intermediate step-up.  The step up is done
electrically if you think of it that way, in the windings of the generator
itself to get more voltage or what not out of a slower revolution on the
generator shaft.  The Vestas machines (and most other turbines) have a big
gearbox to step up the speed of the shaft to feed into a conventional
generator;  Lagerwey makes their own special generator.

The design has grown on me.  There is a new installation of 28 of the same
turbine (LW 52 - 750 kw turbine) in Japan on Hokkaido island, Japan.  It
looks really good.

Once you get close to it (ie, right next to it on foot) it seems smaller
again.  Worth the stop if you're driving by.

It's like rides.  They look so big far away, then you get closer, and they
look small again, and then you stand right under the machine and they look
huge.  Psyclone is an excpetion.  You drive up to the park and it looks tiny
from far away.  Then you aproach it from International Street and you see
the disc rise so high above everything else and you realize just how big it
is.  Then you stand in the queue line or right under it when it swings up
over you and you see that yes, it really is a giant ride.

    Iain