 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 6024
6023  |  6025
Subject:
LOR just doesn't feel like walking (yet...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:35:15 GMT

First an apology to Angelo, for my somewhat abrupt conversation at
dinner--Sorry about that, I was 'off my game'.

More than that, I've been experimenting with different types of 'shoes' for
LOR.  No matter what shes he wears, he just won't take a step in them--they
all must be too hard on his feet.

Right now his shoes are *huge*, but still, no step.

I have other ideas that I'm going to pursue, but between now and the new
year, I have no idea when I'm going to have time.

Here's the thing--walking biped 'bots have been done before.  You can do the
overlapping toes, such that no matter what foot is down, the 'bot will still
be upright--that's pretty easy.  Some have developed 'bots that can even
turn with that type of 'footprint'.

There are wonderful walking 'bots that shift the RCX back and forth,
depending on which foot is down, to keep the COG over the foot on the
ground--those make for an interesting 'bot--seeing the RCX swing from side
to side.

But those two concepts have been done before.

The idea I have has also been done before, though, I think, not to the
extent I'm going--put a joint in the ankle and then lean the 'bot to one
side or the other--much akin to throwing the RCX back and forth, but by
bending the ankle, it's more 'human-like'.

And I guess that's my bottom line--I'm going for the most human-like walking
robot that I can create out of LEGO bricks, which includes arms, hands, etc.

So when I said that overlapping feet is 'cheating', it is in this specific
scenario, as well as making the feet very big (though that seems to be the
intermediate solution right now--I'll take the big feet over the overlapping
feet as a compromise to actually getting LOR to walk :) )

Oh well--I really wanted to see him walking before the new year.

I'll keep at it and keep y'all posted :)

Dave K