 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5775
Re: Taking the high road...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:15:46 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug writes:
As I understand it, this list is not restricted to LEGO, so please forgive me if I'm out of line.

Steve, this list is restricted to people we like, and that includes you, so
post away!

Well, people we don't like can post here as well... ;)

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca>
Subject: Taking the high road...

Take the high road--don't get mired into the name calling and mud slinging...

Few of you know me beyond the e-mails, and a single day of LEGO competition, so let me join in and tell my own 'high-road' story...

First, I play volleyball on a team named "Whatever".  Most of us have played together for a while, but we have other people fill in once in a while.

A couple seasons ago, we had a girl playing with us, and I managed to make her mad.  It was something I said to another player, which she mis-understood.  Well, she went home and TOTALLY blew up.  She sent me a pretty nasty e-mail telling me how she just didn't like me, and she wasn't going to play anymore (right as we started our tournaments).

My reply was something along the lines of "Ok.  If that's what you want."

Well, that was clearly not the response she was looking for.  She came back and said, "I don't think you understand.  I'm not going to play in the tournament."  To which I replied "Not everyone can play together.  That's fine."

She went on to list the reasons I was a bad person, and no-one liked me.  After I refuted all her claims, she came up with more stuff.  I didn't want to keep going back and forth, so I tried again to explain my original statements.

Finally, she writes back and says "Why didn't you say that in the first place?"

Well, I did, but she wasn't listening.  She was too busy being mad.

Some days, the best way to 'get back' at mean people is to smile.

Like that guy who's in a hurry go get home and kick his dog.  He thinks you cut him off, so he flips you off.  I just wave and smile.  Then, you can see him trying to explain how mad he is...  But I just wave some more.

Steve
"Smile.  It really pisses off mean people."

See, taking the high road.  Sure you could have resorted to name calling and
mud slinging, but then both you and she would have been mad, and it would
have taken longer at reconciliation.

I work the phones all day as tech support, and even though it's 'internal
support', as in we all work for the same company, still there are days when
the person on the other end of the phone is snippy 'cause the payroll's due
yesterday, and the printer is spewing garbage, and the branch manager is
breathing down her neck, so she gets short with me.

Honestly, why should I care?  Be cross at me--I know that it isn't me that
caused the server to crash, but I'm the guy that can fix it.  If I get mad
at her for being mad at me, it makes it next to impossible to arrive at a
working solution.  Lets just get the job done and when it is, for the most
part, the person on the phone is apologetic--life goes on.  So patience and
perseverance wins the day in all these cases.

Nice story Steve!

Take care.

Dave K.