 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5714
Re: Battle brick?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 17:26:14 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug writes:
Saturday night, I was asked if I would enter an all-out, unlimited LEGO battle-bot event.

So, it will pound Calum's robot...  no.  wait...  I've never seen one of >Calum's robots.

Oh, I think Steve knows our style real good now :)

Seriously, I agree, though I'm less concerned with the RCX (which, after
seeing Robert Ziman's bowling pin entry for rtl11) than the breaking of
beams and other Technic components.  Gears and bushings will strip and
crack, but they're largely disposable.  16x1 beams on the other hand are
hard to find.  I have some 1x16 red's that are almost as old as I am that
are starting to crack and it hurts me greatly.

That all said, it's unlikely we'll do all out carnage until everyone has
8475 RC Racers for some sort of live Battlebots competition.  I know it's
fun to say we could do autonomous carnage games, but I have a suspicion
they'd be as interesting as watching blind men in a cornfield--JeffE, Chris
and I debated this back in '99 before rtl3 and I think the consensus then
was it'd be virtually impossible to find your opponent, then definitively
say the robot was "dead".

At least with a live control RC thing, the former is a non issue, the
latter, is well, easy to judge in terms of aggression.

Calum