 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5559
5558  |  5560
Subject:
Constables on Patrol
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:52:41 GMT

Knocking on your door at 4 a.m. can never be a good thing...

So, bleary eyed and dragging my heinie out of bed, the officeer tells me
that someone broke into my li'l pickup truck.

Get dressed, go down to the street, look at said '88 Dodge pickup.  Well,
the driver door hasn't locked in over a year--yes all you woulb-be thieves,
no lock!  But the owner of said vehicle, while not being the sharpest knife
in the drawer, also knows that the door doesn't lock and thus keeps
*nothing* in it.  Nada.  Zippo.  Well, close to nothing--I have a car stereo
that almost predates solid state (and looks older) and a blanket and old
running shoes behind the seat, so yeah, if any wold be thief wants to try
his or her hand at thievery, and the chance to get busted, go ahead, take my
ratty running shoes.

But I digress.

I lept loose change in my ashtray (since I don't smoke, what else to do with
the ashtray?) and the suspect took about 5 bucks worth of nickels and dimes
(left the pennies on the bench seat) and that was it.

Thankfully this 'member of our society' did not break the window to gain
entry to the truck, for then I would have been steamed!

As it is, no harm, though now I have more incentive to actually get the door
fixed.

The police officer told me they already caught the guy, few blocks away
checking out more vehicles, and that a very nice neighbour of mine was en
route to his night shift when he saw this thief looking into my truck.

I spent 10 minutes filling out a form for whatever reason, and there is
another sheet of paper with my name on it floating out there in 'official'
channels.

So the system works, at least today--thief is caught, I have great
neighbours, and with that, I'm going back to bed.

Dave K.