 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5175
5174  |  5176
Subject:
Mitchell Resnick paper
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 05:37:09 GMT

I was over at the Bahen Centre tonight (the new home for the Interactive
Media Lab) and was looking at some old magazines we were throwing out.
Anyways, I found an old copy of the Communications of the ACM (Association
for Computing Machinery) from 1993.  We have a lot of ACM SIGCHI and ACM
academic journals in our lab, but out of the hundreds of magazines we
archived, I found one about Lego.

Inside one of the articles about Lego and the MIT Media Lab:

http://llk.media.mit.edu/papers/1993/BCK.html

It's a really interesting read.  I think I read it a long time ago while
building a Miniboard back in 1994-1995, but it was a treat to see the
article in print.  The paper talks about the learning issues behind
Mindstorms' academic precursors at MIT.  It's really amazing to know the toy
we use for games has such a solid educational foundation.

Also in this issue of the journal was the seminal work on ubiquitous
computing by Mark Weiser of Xerox PARC.  Simply amazing stuff.  So far ahead
of it's time:

http://www.ubiq.com/hypertext/weiser/UbiCACM.html

Anyways, two good reads if you're bored.

Calum