 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 5109
5108  |  5110
Subject:
Train 4: Ramp casement sketches
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:45:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I've been beating my brain about how to handle the wide casement arches
I plan to put under the track ramp to Altenburg.  I think I'm going to
do the following:

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/Casement1.gif

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/Casement2.gif

The arch spans 18 studs, and peaks at just short of 11 bricks high.  The
two main problems are:

1) the arch tends to deform easily, warping into non-circular shapes
2) the ability to see some distance between the cracks is unappealing

I'm thinking of handling both problems by making a black arch "mask" out
of thin paper, and crimping the hinges directly onto it.  It will help
the arch hold its shape, and simultaneously hide those unsightly
crevices!

As you can see from the images, the arch would be able to nicely handle
a pair of three-wide sidewalks, plus a narrow two-lane road for 4-wide
cars.

Jeff E