 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4957
Re: Train clearance specs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 19:03:28 GMT

Derek Raycraft wrote:

Wow, you must really be bored to go to all that effort. :-)

Yup.  Actually, it only takes about 20 minutes if you know where the
pieces hide.

This is a copy of Derek's clearance specs for his train.  Derek, if
these have changed, perhaps you'd better let us know.

http://extranet.telepres.com/staff/jeffe/8wideclearance.gif

Yes, this is still accurate.  I still have the "GO" train built and I'm
planing to keep it for a while longer.  I want to see it do a full loop
at least once. :-)  My new train has lower side clearance requirements.

Meaning lower-to-ground?  Or less-stringent?

I'd like greater height clearance for it but I know that is just going
to cause problems.

Not necessarily.  My Hightown plan is built at 18 bricks elevation.  I
run all my track at 1 plate elevation above substrate, so that I can
underbed it and so curves and switches sit flush.  This means that the
height-clearance overstructure as-is would be 16 bricks plus baseplate.
That leaves 1.2 bricks for supports, which is kind of a minimum
(plate-brick-plate sandwiches, anyone?), but we could negotiate if you
need a little more room.

That's made me think of something.  If we do the High Town thing, we
should make it a 6 wide standard, and build a cantanery (1. sp?) system
that fits with the metro liner's pantograph.  That would be cool.  I was
thinking of building a streetcar, I could make it fit with this system too.

I could be convinced, although we'd need to dig up enough pieces to do
this throughout.

1.  I can never figure out how to spell this.  I know half the web
spells it wrong.  Even LDraw has it spelt wrong on the parts that should
be labeled as pantograph parts.

I think it's "catenary", like the mathematical shape.  inflexible,
iso-density wires hanging from two points describe a catenary curve, so
it makes sense.

Jeff E