 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 46
Re: an idea
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 20:44:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Koudys writes:
So i'm replying to my own post
i want to see calums train/town setup
that's why i suggested this.
as well, i could bring in my, albeit small, monorail car and my truck.
we could go from there.

My layout (Iain and Chris will attest) is pretty large in size (though not in
detail :)  It spans across my living room, a piano, under a coffee table and
around two arm chairs.  It'd really be hard to move (the main) town part and
I'm a little scared of losing parts in the shuffle.  I've never been concerned
on losing parts from our Mindstorms hardware (being very easily replaceable)
but Town is full of largely irreplaceable little doodads :)

What I'm thinking of organizing is a small sit around and build stuff get
together (not an event) over at my house.  Jeff has already voiced an interest
in coming by to check things out, Iain's been over before, and you're
certainly welcome to come by.

Another option is to do an impromptu layout, sort of like these fellows who
all met at one guys house:

Perhaps every person would bring one "module", like a cargo facility or a
station, and one train or a few cars. Everyone would bring however much track
they had, put a masking tape label on the back or keep a general count of how
much track they brought and leave with.  I'd love to bring out a couple of
modules myself, then run track between it all.

If this worked well, we could graduate to 4x4 modules ala larger train clubs.

We should try it out as a small thing and grow it larger.  I wonder how it
will work with the robot stuff going on too?  The one example I see is Hitoshi
Hirota, who often brings just models (ie, servo arm, servo dog etc)  Visitors
often go and talk to him and check out his stuff while all of us are busy
refining our competition machines :)  He always brings interesting demos in-

it was suggested to me by my friends that i could get the gymnasium of the
christian school here for next to nothing, so if, in the future, you want to
hold the event 'out in the sticks' aka stoney creek, it wouldn't be a problem.

As much as I'd like to (god only knows I'd love a west end Lego event :) I
think we're good for downtown at the Smith library for now.  It's next to
nothing $20.75 for the day and easily central to most people.  But these are
great ideas, so keep them coming!

Calum