 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 455
Re: rtlToronto8 Events. Vote for them.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 23:27:41 GMT

"Jeff Elliott" <jeffe@telepres.com> wrote in message

Dragstrip:  I can design a 'robot' using 0 rcxes that could do this,
and have a good shot at winning, too.  So could Iain, or lots of other
folks on this NG.  That's not necc. a *bad* thing, but we might want
to include this just as an  entry-level competition.  Something that
kids who show up without a robot could aim to build in a morning.

That's why I think the scoring should be different. Robots who can stop the
FASTEST after passing the line should be rewarded. IE, a robot who finishes
in second place can still win, if it stops much much faster after passing
the finihs line, rather than simply coasting away.

There needs to be intuative scoring here, and I hate math, so I'm not going
to bother attempting to figure it out. :)

I'd also like to put forward the "Confidence Course" variant to the race
game:  Take Jin's concept of the Mindstorms box as a standard unit of
obstacle:  Invent a course using one or more such boxes which need to
be overcome in certain ways.  Publicize the exact course layout, and
your bot has to scale / jump / roll to victory.  Fastest one wins,
and we can easily set up side-by-side courses.

I really like this idea as well, Jeff!

    Iain