 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 453
Re: rtlToronto8 Events. Vote for them.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 22:52:08 GMT

Heya,

I'm assuming that we're voting for basic ideas here, and that we're
going to refine the competition as we go...  otherwise, I think we've
got a lot of discussing still to do.

Some comments:

Cartesian competition:  This sounds like a lot of fun, but I bet we
can come up with a much better contest.  The suggested contests have
an awful lot of loopholes in them, and I'd like to see something that
rewards clever building / programming, rather than clever loopholing
(And this is Mr. Loophole talking :)

Climb & Gather:  Neat idea.  Possibly difficult to execute, tho'

Maxwell's demon:  We can always use butcher paper / mac-tac / whatever
to colour the field.

Dragstrip:  I can design a 'robot' using 0 rcxes that could do this,
and have a good shot at winning, too.  So could Iain, or lots of other
folks on this NG.  That's not necc. a *bad* thing, but we might want
to include this just as an  entry-level competition.  Something that
kids who show up without a robot could aim to build in a morning.

Follow-the-line:  I like this better, as a challenge.  But how to
score robots that ignore the line and head for the finish directly?

I'd also like to put forward the "Confidence Course" variant to the race
game:  Take Jin's concept of the Mindstorms box as a standard unit of
obstacle:  Invent a course using one or more such boxes which need to
be overcome in certain ways.  Publicize the exact course layout, and
your bot has to scale / jump / roll to victory.  Fastest one wins,
and we can easily set up side-by-side courses.

I think I'd like to have a hand in writing the *exact* contest rules,
since we had a lot of confusion last time about what the exact rules
were (eg: Sumo backwards starts, etc)  Most of these contests kinda
require size restrictions (ie: Cartesian "push" contest against a
wall of bricks the size of one side of the building...)

Jeff

Calum Tsang wrote:

Hi folks,

I've collected four rtlToronto8 proposals and put them online at:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-060901-rules.html

Send me an email with your vote for event A, B, C or D OR whether you would
participate in a re-run of Blockstacking.  Or, if you're crazy, you would
built both an ABC or D event, AND a stacker.

Now go, read them, and email me.  CC Chris and the group if you think I'm
not an impartial election office and you don't trust me to count chads :)

Calum