 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 4237
Re: rtlToronto/live1 Event Info
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 05:11:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ivan Louch writes:
Just wanted to point out something on the IR Code Assignments.
First of all it might be a good idea to avoid using Message(0), i.e. set the
range for the Controller-1 to 1 throu' 18. Reason being if you do a
ClearMessage() the Message() is set to a zero, instead of a zero-length
string ("") or null, hence triggering any Message()==0 conditions and making
the RCX think that button A is pressed.
Secondly what happened to all the 'break' (button release) assignments?
Those are so useful! I know, I know it's fun to see a bot fly off the table
because someone forgot where the 'stop' button is mapped, but this is NHL
(Not-quite Hockey League) we're talking about here!

Whoops.  My bad, I was:

a) in pain over these teeth which need to be pulled ASAP.
b) still in a good mood after the big DMB concert
c) just not paying full attention :)

I've reposted the rule page with the button mappings.

At any rate, here is my proposed button mapping:
http://darkivn.tripod.com/buttonmap.html

Doh!  I just realized you had sent this out.  I had them mapped +32 forward
on the page, which is now updated.  But same idea.  Thanks to you and Iain
for pointing this out!

Just realized - there aren't any weight restrictions, hmm that's an
interesting development...

We've always talked about that before when developing the competitions.
Weight isn't a restriction we've ever used mainly because of two reasons:

a) you can't really get THAT heavy in 8x8" (or 12x12") and if you do, it's
to your own detriment of mobility.  I mean, you could load it up with
battery boxes and 2x2x6 lead pieces.  But that really doesn't gain you THAT
much, this isn't sumo.  Or is it?

b) Chris and I are by nature lazy.  Or originally I was eager, and Chris was
lazy, but then I think we've both grown to the same level of laziness.
Which means neither of us wanted to bring a scale, because of the thousand
odd items we have to bring to each show (playfield, playfield walls,
laptops, markers, signs, sharpies, tape, cabling etc)  If you notice, we've
never brought a ruler to check on the size rule either.  We figure if you're
bothering to come out, you're probably gonna play by the rules or risk
eternal mocking from someone.

Calum