 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3939
3938  |  3940
Subject:
rtlToronto 10.1 Experiments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:54:56 GMT

First: Yes, I do know how to spell "unofficial."  Ew.

Last night my friend Jeremy and I spent a couple of hours putting
together some sample robots.  We bought a cheap Gravis "Tilt" gamepad,
which worked readily and perfectly with the BattleBricks software.

So far we're just using the sample program, unmodified, on both our
robots.  We've only got the one gamepad so far, so we're fudging the
controller.

The robots are very simple, and generally fall apart only when they
contact other robots, walls, the ball, or when they maneuver abruptly,
such as starting, stopping or changing direction.

Some suggestions:  Install 4 programs on your brick, one for each
command set:

1-63
64-126
127-189
190-252

(or something like that)

That way it's simple and quick to assign robots.

The BBRC software allows you to save gamepad configurations: I use a
.pad extension, and if you make 8 of these (4 for each robot) and bring
them on a floppy, we can install them on Calum's laptop and you can
painlessly pick your control set.

***

I ran into trouble with the IR: perhaps it's simply weak batteries, but
my robot really didn't pick up messages well when not facing toward the
IR tower.  I think we'll need to have multiple towers, so I'll ask
again:  Have we made any inroads into using multiple towers?  If not,
I'm going to investigate what the BBRC folks have done.  I think we'll
need it.

Jeff E