 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3898
OT: Rogers community 10 shows,, was : Stuff ‘other’ than LUBE…
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 4 Mar 2002 16:52:58 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Richard Noeckel writes:
     Calum, u really should have an online column for a tech magazine
or somethin’ You’d have great editorials and stuff that’d be killer funny.

Thanks :)  Since we're on the topic of Rogers 10:

In fact, I did.  I had my own television show.  I did it with a bunch of
friends.  We shot I believe six episodes for Rogers Television, a little
variety show of random interviews and trivia.  One friend was the on air
personality/talent, another did all the writing and research.  I was the
editor and director.  We did one on street buskers, another on the Ontario
Science Center, etc  In retrospect, we probably should have done one on
Lego.  Actually, no, at the time I really wasn't into Lego.  I think I still
have the 3/4" edit masters still holding up a desk here.

We even had our own theme song, done by a jazz quintet from my high school.
If I can ever find the materials again, you'll notice the opening title
sequence looks incredibly like the rtlToronto logo.

Field acquisition was done with a SVHS camcorder, (lighting is for the weak)
we cut on Sony 3/4SP cuts only with an Amiga 2500/20 for titles.  (AB Roll
is for the weak) The producer at the time for Rogers, was none other than
Steven Kerzner, who was doing the Late Late Show starring Eric Tunney
and...Ed the Sock!  And he was actually funny, very very funny.  We reused
old tapes from their playout library for edit masters because we couldn't
afford new tape stock.  I think we recorded over some new age spiritual
healing self help shows, I'm not kidding.

Anyways, we were all bunch of high school kids and the equipment was all
borrowed or stolen.   It was really hard to get time on the edit hardware at
Rogers, and it was like a 2 hour trip up to Steeles and Dufferin by TTC,
just to get kicked off by "Fly Fishing Monthly" for edit time.  I had to lug
my A2500 by hand up there every time with a big frame camping backpack.

In retrospect, we were a little arrogant.  We wanted to run the entire show
(which we could have done, in all honesty, it's not hard) and here were
these people who were trying to make a career in this very hard industry of
television watching these kids tear up the entire place.  I once
accidentally flipped all of Downsview's Channel 10 output onto my Amiga's
desktop output.  We hated the Rogers people, mainly because they wouldn't
let us play, so we made every attempt at trying to get out from them,
including begging for edit time elsewhere.  I think one of those VO-5850
edit decks still has a little nastygram attached on the back panel that I
left there after a particularly bad session.  I did all the telephoning and
general irritating:  I bugged everyone and anyone for help, including...the
local bagel store, SGI Canada, Panasonic Broadcast Canada, to get away from
Rogers.  I had this far fetched idea to even, get this...broadcast to
satellite.  I don't know where I got this crazy idea, but maybe I was just
incredibly naive.  I mean, it only took one phone call to get to all of
Toronto....

Rogers did manage to take bits of our show and use them on other programs.
They actually did manage to play our stuff reasonably often for a few months.

Afterwards, we were approached by a bunch of local producers to try and do
our own show.  They rented us a very expensive shotgun mic (audio, is for
the weak) and let us roll for a 28 minute "tryout".  We did a pilot but it
was incredibly un funny.  Then we realized we were really only funny to
ourselves, and that the only reason Rogers would air us was because a) they
were desperate for material past the Sunday Night Pottery Show and similar
junk and b) they were federally mandated to show ANYTHING short of gun
toting redneck offensive stuff.

In later years after the entire experience, I jumped to buy my own editing
system.  I bought the first sub $2000 nonlinear edit card, and well, now any
firewire DV card can do the same stuff for $59.  My friend Dave (the onair
guy) continued to work in film and television as a career, I edited pretty
well all of his student films on my workstation at home.

I'd still like to do a community show again sometime in the future.  My plan
was to do a "Behind Closed Doors of Toronto" show minus Joan Lunden and
visit all the places urbanites wish they could go to, but with permission.
Ie, Lower Bay Station, Bell Canada's 220 Simcoe Street switch, etc. I've got
all the edit hardware I need and I'm sure even if Rogers didn't want to air
it, we could put it on the Internet.

Epilogue.  Dave went to Ryerson and got his degree in film, he's now
applying for grants from the NFB/Canada Council, the writer went to
Concordia and is a professional writer/journalist.  Steven Joel Kerzner is
now a successful producer at MuchMusic/CHUM IIRC and married another
Downsview Cable 10 staffer.  He produces Ed's Night Party and Ed's Smash or
Trash.  I, took the career of continually calling up people and harassing
them, it's apparently called project management. :)

Calum