 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 376
375  |  377
Subject:
Crane Idea...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 01:23:30 GMT

Jeff Elliot has constructed a fabulous crane!

...and he has got me thinking.

In another post, I had briefly mentioned the idea of doing a contest with
robots traversing a longitudinal cable suported from oposite walls in a
building.

This, coupled with seeing some of Jeff's mechanisms (I absolutely love the
Technic Super Car tyre used as a winding drum!), and more literature from
ASEA Brown Bovier (Thanks, Steve!) and their IRB 340 FlexPicker, has put a
very dangerous idea in my head!

If you can imagine the following:

|                           |
|                           |
|\                         /|
| \                       / |
|  \<--Fishing cable     /  |
|    \                 /    |
|      \             /      |
|        \         /        |<--Walls
|          '     '          |
|           O   O<--winding drums
|           |-+-|<--drives, etc.
|             |             |
|            RCX            |

The robot/crane would be suported by (For this diagram) two cables secured
on the walls (or probably the ceeling...). By winding the drums together,
the robot would, in theory, lift vertically up (to a point, of course, just
lower than, but never reaching to or above, the securing point of the
cables). Paying out the cable at equal rates should cause the robot/crane to
dsecend.

Here's where it gets interesting:

Pay one side in and pay out the other. Robot moves *sideways*.

Now, to complete the picture: Add the third dimension. Arrange the cables in
a three-spoke configuration.

We can now maneouver the robot within a three-dimensional work envelope.
What you can do with it, I've no idea! Perhaps just create a very
interesting thing to look at. However, if you have a very large ceeling in
your living room (coughCALUMcough), this could really create a very
interesting project. I think I may start on this very soon!

(Does something like this exist in real life? I have this HORRIBLE nagging
feeling I've seen this somewhere before, and I can not for the life of me
picture where that might have been! Maybe it is just the IRB 340?)

    Iain