 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3428
3427  |  3429
Subject:
A little bit of History
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2002 03:36:03 GMT

In trying to style-up a new robot design at work (*I* think it's ugly), I
was poking around online. I remembered being really drawn to what I
understood was one of the earliest (if not the first industrial robot) when
I was younger, and tried looking for it.

http://www.ar2.com/uninfo.html

Unimation's UNIMATE robot. 1961. Amazing!

The part I remembered loving was the styling of the upper arm cover, and the
bellows on the pitch axis. Just something kind of interesting. I love the
italic font on the right side of the cover, too.

What I find interesting is some of the figures:

-225 kg capacity
-2 mm repeatability
-Hydraulic drive (!)

It's weird how hard it is to find nice pictures of this online. Hmph.

    Iain