 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3310
Re: rtl10 Service Pack 1: RCX Soccer
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:26:50 GMT

After reading the idea presented by Rob in an earlier message, I'd like to
propose a new event between rtl10 and rtl11, a sort of rtlToronto Lite kind
of deal.  The goal would be a fun event that doesn't involve too much work,
gives a light easy introduction to Mindstorms (ie, the kind someone like me
can handle) and is a lot of actual fun for the audience and competitors (ie,
not, press Start and sit back and crack open a cold one kind of rtl9 fun :)

I like, I like! I think it would be great to involve the builders in more
than 'press start and watch it go'.

Questions:
-Do you think this is a fun idea and would you want to participate? • Yes!
-How many robots could you field (ie, how many RCXs do you own)? • Two.
-Could you bring a friend or can you form a team (ie, Team Bash Brothers?) • Me and Iain can be team Martha Stewart. (The mechanically polite ones)
-Do you want custom robots or some sort of reference design?
Uggh. Please don't make a set design for the soccer players. That would make
this completely brainless.
-Do you have a USB gamepad/joystick? • Nope. Could probably borrow one.
-Do you have a USB hub?
Nope.

Idea:
The ball
would be a tennis or squash ball (ping pong balls might be too
unpredictable)and the idea is to score goals on the other team.
I'm not too sure about the fuzz or the rubber... it might glitch up a mechanism.

A little bit more Chris-oriented variant of this is a Smackdown Soccer kind
of thing, where the robots are allowed to be meanies, ie, like Battlebots.
You might have one kicker, one goalie and a meanie to beat up on the
opponent running offense.
As long as we don't allow battery box hammers or other weapons of serious
destruction, I'm okay with the meanies.

This would be perhaps initially at some location on a weekend, or maybe a
single room at Lillian H Smith.  Real casual.
Sounds good. Maybe we should try it out in someones basement first? I'm real
curious to see how well the IR works from a distance and with the RCX facing
the wrong direction.

Initial rules:
(ie, debate them)
-The robots must be small.  8x8" at maximum
-The robots can be meanies if desired (ie, flipping robots etc)
-One RCX per robot, two or three robots per team
Sounds good. Size could be even smaller. Maybe a rule could be made that the
robot can't eat the ball. It should have to kick or push the ball.

Benefits:
-Simple, brainless game that is a welcome rest after ProjectX and Monkeys.
-Easy to get into.  Especially if we get Jin Sato's prototype hockey player
design and post instructions on how to build it, even little kids can enter
a robot.
Like I said earlier, don't post a standardized design. I'm sure even younger
participants are capable of sticking some wheels on an RCX. Let there be at
least some creativity.
Rob