 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 3007
3006  |  3008
Subject:
10001 Metroliner
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 2001 08:53:00 GMT

So with the holidays in full swing, I decided to start building my 10001
Metroliner.  The grey box has sat in my house for a few months now, since I
have a 4558 original Metroliner, it wasn't such a priority to put it
together.  Overall, I'm rather happy with the Metroliner Legend rerelease,
it's well worth the money and done pretty well in general.

The 10001 package is in the generic grey packaging with the new tear apart
cardboard design of recent years.  Once torn open, the boxes aren't useful
for storing things in again.  Inside are several polybags plus a Yet Another
Loop of Track.  Everything including the instructions, printed on some sort
of lower quality paper/process, is all shoved in there.  I'm glad I saved my
4558 box, it's very classy in comparison.  But that's really not a big
deal-other than the fact the set is expensive and you'd expect a nicer box,
it's not really that much of a problem.  I'd still buy it if it was shipped
in a big plastic bag marked "Metroliner" scrawled with a sharpie on a piece
of masking tape.

Basically everything in the 4558 is in the 10001.  I built the train itself
in a long sitting during this evening-and it was a lot of fun-I put together
my 4558 about six years ago, so it's been a while.  It's quite a treat in
it's construction,  and it's very evident Lego Trains have gone downhill in
comparison over the years.  Compared to the 4559 and 4561, details like the
little washbasin, folding tables, and bicycle storage gate are hallmarks of
the 4558 design.

I can't really tell the difference between the new pieces and the old except
that the train wagon plates have fewer holes for mounting the bogies onto.
I saw messages on Lugnet about the windows being the wrong colour and one of
the hair pieces being a ponytail instead of the normal center parted
shoulder length hair, but these were relatively inconsequential and I had
requested the 10001 Service Pack/Hotfix :) from Consumer Affairs.

My biggest issue is the large cargo doors on the Loco/DVT are not printed,
you get to put stickers onto them.  The stripe stickers aren't long enough,
so it doesn't look quite right.

Other than that, I'm really happy with the Legends release of the 10001. I'm
sure a lot of people now can enjoy having a Metroliner.  If you haven't
ordered one and want to get into Lego Trains, 10001 is a no brainer for an
entry into 9V rail.

Calum