 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2836
Re: KUKA got there first... :(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:30:12 GMT

If you want to ride on somethng like that, you should go to space camp
canada in montreal. They have a shuttle mock-up (only the front quarter,
but real size) with a "canadarm" in the back, with a seat on the end. Of
course, it doesnt go very fast (floor to 10 meter ceiling in about 10-15
seconds), and if it did, it would probably hit stuff and kill the person in
it.

Rebel Transcanner wrote:

http://www.oxford.net/~hendryjr/temp/KUKA/

(6 images)

KUKA just premiered this at IAAPA, a huge amusement industry convention held
every year in the US. It's their KR 500 robot (from what I can tell), which
was the first articulated to throw around 500 kg mass, plus seats provided
by Wieland Schwarzkopf, GmbH.

Two years ago I proposed offhandedly that Ventax, the robot company I work
for, should try attaching my office chair to the EOAT plate on our L-type
robot ( http://www.ventax.com/l.html ) as it's suitable for payloads of
about 100 kg. The first time I saw an LM-MX (slightly smaller L-type), I
knew I had to ride it. Of course, I don't have some exciting story about
sneaking in after-hours and powering up the robot and going for a whirl. But
it's sort of been a joke every time we build a big robot now that "Iain will
want to ride it."

But KUKA got there first.

I've talked to someone who talked to someone who rode it in Germany at the
plant, and reportedly it's just unbeliveable. Can you imagine the ride that
can do, be, or make you feel *anything*, with virtually no limitations? Can
you imagine feeling as though you're on the tip of the Samauri's blade, as
he carves majestic profiles in the air?

    Iain

--
    /"\
    \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Say NO to HTML in email and news