 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2580
2579  |  2581
Subject:
Part revelation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2001 14:15:05 GMT

Hey folks,

Here's a story for Matthias Jetleb, since he's the rtlToronto Cool Old Part
Guy :)

Anyone ever have (maybe probably only Dave because he had Classic Space too)
the 6970 Beta1 Command Base? (BTW, Canadian Lego never had these flashy
American names.  They had names like "Comand Centre" and other relatively
descriptive names, ie not like "FX Star Spectral Investigator" but like
"Four Wheeled Digger" :)

Anyways, inside is a 6x1x5t blue window frame that has a large 2x2" yellow
pane of glass.  It's on the other side of the back wall as a 6x1x5t
viewscreen.  See it in Step 11 here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/6000/6970/6970-05.html

The weird thing was, this piece had little clips on the ends just like the
4x3tx1 windows, and these little slot grooves all around.  I always wondered
what they were for as a kid.  When I took a mechanical design course in
second year, I surmised those grooves were for mould pin location (Yes Rob
and Iain, you can laugh at me now.  Hey, I'm just in systems...)

Anyways, I finally found what they were for a few months ago at a barbecue.
A friend's sister (who's like 22) still had this old late seventies
Homemaker set in her room.  It's one of those giant sets for bendyarm
figures that unfolds out.  And it has one of those large windows.  And
here's what the clips and grooves are for:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/window.jpg

They're to hold huge shutters!  And to slot the little flower basket into!
Isn't that adorable!

I can't believe it took 20 years to figure out this mystery.  I always saw
those Homemaker sets in the catalog but never bothered to look closer.

Calum
PS-notice the large amount of brown in this set.  Wow.
PPS-I couldn't stop waxing about this window at the barbecue.  My friends
tend to realize I'll go on about anything (including the Motorola 56001 DSP
architecture in the NeXTstation, which was the LAST barbecue find) but I
literally was so impressed with these windows.