 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 2538
2537  |  2539
Subject:
rtl9 was a great success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 17:07:50 GMT

Hi everyone
I guess I wouldn't be the first to say that I had a lot of fun at rtl9. It
was very different from my previous experiences with rtl competitions.
Instead of stressing about a crappy block eating mechanism that didn't work,
or a program that sucked, I was able to relax and have fun! I think the key
to having a fun on gameday is getting your robot finished a month before the
competition. Then spend lots and lots of time testing. This time around, I
spend hours upon hours of testing my monkey on my ladder at home (evidence
of this can be seen by the copper streaks on the claws :) So, I was able to
do other things while at the show. trying to fix the Lego wall climber was
an interesting diversion. It was neat to see how the mechnism worked. It
wasn't neat to see tons of sawed, filed, glued and shaved lego pieces. As
Chris said, we can do better. My thoughts on the robots and their creators:

Trevyn: I have to give you credit for not giving up. I felt so bad when your
robot broke into thousands of pieces as you were trying to fix it. You had a
really original idea though!

Derek: Congrats for the most 'acrobatic' monkey. When you got it to do
flips, it was really impressive.

Bruce: Your robot was really strong, and one of the most reliable ones out
there. I think it shows your skill in building solid mechanisms and programming.

Iain: By far the coolest mechanism. I loved the linkages, and the speed.
Your monkey was probably the fastest 'arm type' monkey.

Chris: You created the original true to form monkey. (uhhhmmmm, trying to be
nice.... ) I actually kind of liked the way you geared the turntable.
Unfortunately, Jeff Elliot pointed out the reason for all of your troubles
was that your arm design gave your robot a huge mechanical disadvantage. You
were the only one who made drill bits out of axles...

Jeff VW: I know your concepts didn't quite work, but I have to give you
credit for the coolest looking ideas. The six sided toggle claw version was
nice, and the three sided wheel was just so neat looking.

Anyone else: Sorry if I forgot you.

For the record, could all of the robot builders put together a little table
that shows the name of their monkey, the number of RCX's used, the number of
motors used, the number and type of sensors used, and the amount of time the
robot took to build... etc. I would like to post some pics and details on my
site. On that note, if you took lots of good pictures, could you email some
of them to me? I was taking pictures, but I had my camera set on the highest
compression setting, so my pictures look like junk :(

Something I would like to see more in future shows is more show and tell.
Remember the black dragon Ka-On brought to the train show? That was
extremely cool. I know all of us have our niche in Lego building, and it
should be appreciated by all. Derek, for instance has built some killer
pneumatic walkers. Chris has also built tons of walkers. Iain builds the
best in cartesian... And the list goes on. I want to see all of these hidden
talents!
Rob