 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 17635
17634  |  17636
Subject:
'Cause *some* people didn't believe it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 19:42:25 GMT

http://www.theaircar.com/

in which we read

"After fourteen years of research and development, Guy Negre has developed an
engine that could become one of the biggest technological advances of this
century. Its application to Compressed Air Technology(CAT) vehicles gives them
significant economical and environmental advantages. With the incorporation of
bi-energy (compressed air + fuel) the CAT Vehicles have increased their driving
range to close to 2000 km with zero pollution in cities and considerably reduced
pollution outside urban areas."

and the FAQ--

http://www.theaircar.com/tecno.html

"One of the most frequently asked questions is about the safety of the
compressed air storage tanks. These tanks hold 90 cubic metres of air compressed
to 300 bars. Many people ask whether this system is dangerous in case of an
accident and if there is a risk of explosion. The answer is NO. Why? Because
these are the same tanks used to carry the liquid gas used by buses for public
transport. The tanks enjoy the same technology developed to contain natural gas.
They are designed and officially approved to carry an explosive product: methane
gas.

In the case of a major accident, where the tanks are ruptured, they would not
explode since they are not metal. Instead they would crack, as they are made of
carbon fibre. An elongated crack would appear in the tank, without exploding,
and the air would simply escape, producing a loud but harmless noise. Of course,
since this technology is licenced to transport an inflammable and explosive gas
(Natural gas), it is perfectly capable inoffensive and non-flammable air."

and the filling--

http://www.theaircar.com/car.html

" Refilling the car will, once the market develops, take place at adapted petrol
stations to administer compressed air. In 2 or 3 minutes, and at a cost of
approximately 1.5 Euros, the car will be ready to go another 200-300 kilometres.

    As an viable alternative, the car carries a small compressor which can be
connected to the mains (220V or 380V) and refill the tank in 3-4 hours"

So there you are.

I want one.

Dave K