 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16948
Re: Copy the Tyco "terrain Twister" screw drive?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 20:18:40 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
I saw the Tyco "Terrain Twister"
http://www.tycorc.com/us/product.asp?category_type_id=22&id=11811&category_id=7819
advertised on TV and was intrigued by the drive mechanism.

It looks like it uses two counter-rotating screws/augers to move it
forward on bad surfaces like sand or snow.

I remember this toy!  Wow, Tyco must be where old molds never die.

Any thoughts on how this could be built as a robot drive base?

I've tried using flextube but haven't been able to duplicate this in Lego.

I don't know of any pieces which would fit the shape, but then of course, I'm
really not as up on my piece knowledge anymore.  There doesn't seem to be a
"worm segment" piece other than the actual regular worm piece Chris loves so
much.  There are those neat Castle stairpieces which are a "sweep of arc" but I
don't think you could make a giant worm out of them.

How about tirehub cylinders wrapped in flextube?

Calum