 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1694
1693  |  1695
Subject:
DCC Encoder assembled!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 06:37:51 GMT

Well I just got back from putting together the TMWDCC DCC processor/encoder
board.  We etched the first board, and soldered the components to it-we
didn't socket in the PIC yet, we have to program it next week.

My coworker Mario did the hard work really, we built the board by drilling
(Dremel) out the holes with a photocopy of the circuit, then laying out the
traces with thin strips of masking tape, then etching it with acid.  We then
cleaned it off and soldered on the components, all four of them :)

Next we need to make the booster board (TMW5), then a decoder or two.
Decoders are EVEN CHEAPER.  We found 16F84's for $6.49, not the 9.70 we were
being taken for at Active Components...

And of course, a photo:

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/people/tsangc/nglcl/dcc1.jpg

The total system config'll be a Compaq Aero laptop driving this processor
board, which is amplified by the booster, which is connected to the track,
all of which is powered by an external PS.  The train picks up the command
signal from the motor wheels, then feeds to the decoder, which throttles the
motor power.

Calum