 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15988
15987  |  15989
Subject:
Oh, and one more thing...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 13 Apr 2006 19:31:08 GMT

something i'm sure we'll talk about tonite at dinner (or pinner as Chris would
want to call it...)

got a letter from the hobby show yesterday inviting us to attend.  we should
avail ourselves of the opportunity to sell memberships.  of course, if we need
electricity and/or tables, we're welcome to rent them.

and they did use a pic of Jacub's parrot in their brochure.

so how about them apples?

i think i'll send a nice letter back in the provided registration envelope,
worded as thus--

To whom it may concern,

We have attended the previous three hobby shows and have enjoyed displaying our
LEGO creations to the viewing public.  We believed our displays and enthusiastic
attendees were a welcome addition to your hobby show.

Unfortunately, since we are a group of enthusiasts that doesn't have a club or
payment of dues, we do not have official or purchasable memberships from which
to generate revenue.  As such, any expenses incurred for adding non-vendor
content to your hobby show has to be paid by the participants directly.  Last
year, those expenses totalled over two hundred dollars, yet alone the
aggravation of acquiring that which was provided free of charge in years past.

Compounded with the financial outlay and aggravation was the revelation that
there was a two-tier system in place for hobbyist displays.  Before last year,
certain 'privileged' hobby groups were given monetary compensation to attend the
hobby show, whereas the rest were just given tables and electricity.  Last year,
the hobbyists that were previously given financial compensation stil lreceived
the tables and electricity for free, whereas the other hobby groups had to pay
for tables and electricity.  This fact added to the disenfrancisement of many
hobby displayers, including us.

So it is with regret that we inform you that the Southern Ontario LEGO group
will not be attending the hobby show in November.  Not regret for us for we will
find another venue in which to display our creations, but regret for the hobby
show attendees that were expecting us to return again this year.  It was
obviously a selling point to the public by the hobby show organizers considering
that a LEGO creation is displayed on the cover of your brochure.

We do wish the hobby show success.  Hobbies should be fun and enjoyable.

Take care,

Dave Koudys