 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 15938
Re: sitting percariously at the brink...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2006 21:04:51 GMT

The time for LEGO has reached an all-time low.

Bummed to hear that.

Do I jsut pack up the whole kit-n'-kaboodle nad free up some much needed real
estate in the basement?

Well you asked, so I'm throwing my two cents in.... Dave, don't do it!!!!

Do not pack up anything.  I have a few reasons, and if I'm lucky some might actually apply to your situation, while others might not.   Regardless, I will explain why I think packing up is a bad idea.

First of all, out of sight, out of mind.  If everything is packed up, its too
easy (even if you have a spare moment) to not get passionate about a new
project, besides, even if you do, the whole thought of unpacking again is enough
to stop most ppl.

Secondly, I understand your life is going through a transition, and that you
have more than enough things to distract you from your chosen hobby, but I find
"basement estate" a terrible reason for packing up.  We must always make room,
physically or emotionally,  for things that make us happy.  I wonder if you
could find anything really better to do with that space, that would give you so
much pleasure.

Thirdly, I know that you and the love of your life don't fight, and have plenty of shared interests, but having individual interests fulfills parts of life that keep us growing as individuals, that ends up only benefiting a relationship in the long run.   I used to think that in a perfect relationship, you gave 100% of yourself, and if your partner did the same, then you would be blissfully happy, sadly I learned the hard way, when you give 100%, you give until you have nothing left of yourself.

Lastly, yeah, bots are cool, and you do build some fine ones, and surely they do
take up a lot less space than building trains...
but Dave, (I believe I know you well enough to know that) for you,  there is a
child at heart, that enjoys the joyful childhood escapism and basks in the
tangible memories that comes from building and driving your trains around.
Nostalgia that fills you with a pleasure that very few things can bring, and
that's a dream and pastime worth holding on to.

If this is way too much psychobabble for ya, I will go off and hug a tree.

Regardless of what you decide, I am pleased to know you arent contemplating
selling it off.

Take care David,
Janey "Red Brick"