 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1542
1541  |  1543
Subject:
maze competition
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 16:21:32 GMT

If we use the 4x4, we can comfortably have 2 'bots competing at the same time.
If we use the 8x8, we can have 4 'bots competing head to head.

i wasted an hour of my life last night watching robotica on tlc.  never
having say thru a whole episode before, due to my opinion that those
machines aren't really robots but just glorified remote control vehicles, i
was not moved from my opinion at all.

the only good thing about the hour wasted was looking at the various shapes
and steering mechanisms that these remote vehicles used.  seeing what works
and what doesn't--but they're *not* robots!

so i can set up my board to maze specs for 2 competitors.  if we want the
8x8 for 4 competitors, we'll have to ask Chris nicely to bring it and i'll
set up the maze (put down black tape---oooh, how long's that gonna take?) on
the day of the competition.

As for the rules, i like the idea of setting a smaller 'bot size, say 6 or 8
inches cubed--enough for an rcx, drive system and bumpers...  i'll say the
small size is encouraged, but the size restriction is set at 1 foot cubed.

just remember that some maze lines are going to be within 6 inches of the
outer wall.  if you have a 1 foot wide bot with the light sensor in the
middle, you might have a few issues.  'nuff said.

do you want the black line to be 2 strips wide of black tape, or only 1
strip wide?  matters not to me.

gonna start my line following 'bot tonight, and building some modules this
weekend (hopefully)

p.s.  thanks Calum for posting when i was away on my road trip.  i'll be on
a work related road trip thru most of july and part of august, but will
write sporadically.  thankfully i can connect and check rtltoronto nightly.
sometimes our wan is good.

dave