 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14683
Re: What Codec should I use?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 18 Sep 2005 01:35:33 GMT

I'm not very familiar with the available Codecs but I'm thinking the
most likely options are:

MPG2 - This is what DVDs use correct?
DIVX - Better compression similar quality as MPG2?
H.264 - Apple's new HD codec.  I'll be doing this on a Mac anyway.
Windows Something or Other - would prefer not to use since players
for Windows media tend to suck on platforms that aren't Windows.

MPEG2 is the way to go.  ATSC is defined on MPEG2, which means that every future
forward TV system for the next several years will be able to decode MPEG2
somehow, since the ATSC SD and HD standard requires it.  25 mbit consumer DV to
MPEG2 transcoding artifacts are at least known, so, even though it's not
perfect, it's common place.

MPEG2 encoding is a bit of an art, but at least it's something people have
learned how to do.  Choosing the right bitrate, CBR or VBR, is tough.  I'd go so
far as to convert it to DVD format even for future forward compatibility.

DiVX is a hack, it was basically Microsoft's MPEG4 codec stolen and wrapped
around, H.264 is a possibility but not common in consumer playback electronics.
WMV is a fantastic format for distribution and streaming, but I wouldn't touch
it for archiving with a ten foot pole.  Microsoft changes codecs and standards
on WindowsMedia faster than most change their underwear.

Calum