 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14095
14094  |  14096
Subject:
8421 and my evening with it...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 20:31:26 GMT

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8421

Well, first off, the box is huge.  I think that's the second biggest LEGO box
I've ever owned,next to the space monorail (6990, if I recall).

Anyway, I get it home (thankfully it didn't stay in Calum's trunk) and I waited
(gasp!) like a whole two days to put it together.

Sunday ay around 4ish (after a trip to the theatre to see 'Mr and Mrs Smith') I
started.  Few wonderful interruptions and some hours go by, and I'm done just
before bed time, so no records set there.

K, this isn't an 'official review', just Dave-isms...

It's a wonderful set--still not comparing to the Space Shuttle for complexity
(though, in my opinion, nothing will ever compare to that 'out of the box'.

The entire interior uses studless beams, which was fine by me, and I think where
studs are concerned, this set had the perfect mixture of both studded and
studless beams.

The functionality is very good--I would have changed a few things (and I
may)--the crane when it's up comes crashing down unless you're very careful
withthe pneumatic valve.  And because the port is basically open, you really
can't put an air cylinder in it 'cause it'll empty every time you bring the boom
back down.

The 'outriggers', in my opinion, should have also been pneumatic, like the
backhoe, but how they set those 4 outriggeers up is pretty nifty, so that's a
little one.

What else...

Oh, gearing the actual turntable instead of having it spinning free--definitely
plan on adding that.

Beyond those little things, it's a very fun set to build, to play with and even
just to look at--it's sitting atop my tv hutch right now, and looks great.

Thanks to John for picking it up for me.

Dave K