 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14071
Re: Equal Opportunity Failure
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 31 May 2005 22:57:12 GMT

Iain Hendry wrote:
"Derek Raycraft" <derek@djr.ca> wrote:

Those of you familiar with the hard disk failure that recently occurred on
my iMac will be pleased to know the hard disk just failed on my Windows
box.

As it turns out it was just the registry that got hosed.  Doesn't look
like this is going to be fun to fix.

The Mac about 8 hours to recover.  Much of it just waiting for things to
copy.  So I did this while at work, just kept checking up on it once and
a while over SSH.  Only had to reinstall a few system oriented things in
the end.  Everything else just worked after being copied back.

Frankly I was surprised how simple it was.

My Windows box I'm expecting to take me weeks before everything is up
and running again.  And I have so little installed on it now.  Oh and I
must remember to keep it off the Internet till I'm done.  Sigh.

I have decided not to buy a Mac.  :(  I really love the Asus Pundit.

You don't want to know what I thought your wrote at first glance.  Or
maybe you do. :-)

I used OSX in Montreal on my friend Jeff's PowerBook, and I was
dissapointed.  I found it very hard to do basic things like view pictures.
I'm so used to XP's very good native image viewer, and how I can browse and
organise my pictures by thumbnails in explorer.  I don't like the idea of
taking a digital camera "Roll" and all that jazz, I just want to do it my
own way.

I dislike the Finder too.  I think it's the weakest part of the Mac.  I
was disappointed to see it wasn't really improved in Tiger.

However you can do everything you do on XP on a Mac.  I would recommend
an Image Viewer called ViewIt over Preview.  It's more like the XP
viewer, only it does everything else too.  Slide show, conversions,
resize, rotate... you name it.  Very slick.

You can also turn on thumbnails in the Finder, so you can organize
images just like you would on XP.  There is no reason you have to use
iPhoto.

In fact after the disappointment of iPhoto 5, I'm considering looking
into finding something else.

At the Apple store on Sunday though it was very cool to use a keyboard with
Garage Band, that's neat.

Garage Band is one of those application that I turn on and go huh? and
exit it.  Final Cut Express and Blender were like that too.  I still
need a project for Final Cut.  I've now got a little ways into Blender.
Garage Band I still haven't run again.

Derek