 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14037
  Cutting tracks?

I have a question for a very novice modder.... Let's just say... someone wanted to cut some Lego train track... what fairly common, and inexpensive tool could an novice with a limited tool selection/budget to attempt said mod? What would a "pro" (...) (19 years ago, 20-May-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.parts.mod)

  Re: Cutting tracks?

(...) XPosted to .trains, a lot of people who have done this hang there. Since you're cutting metal, something with fine teeth seems needed, perhaps a hacksaw... not sure how you would cut just the metal without cutting into the plastic unless you (...) (19 years ago, 20-May-05, to lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Cutting tracks?

(...) The tool of choice would have to be the (URL) and then a very sharp razor knife and a jewel saw. The metal rails on a track can be removed with out cutting, you can just pry them off. jt (19 years ago, 20-May-05, to lugnet.parts.mod, FTX)

  Re: Cutting tracks?

(...) There's probably a better way for the LEGO track, but I do know that there is a small saw-thingy that you can get at model railroad/hobby stores for cutting model railroad track. They're really sharp and have really small fine teeth. I can't (...) (19 years ago, 20-May-05, to lugnet.parts.mod)

  Re: Cutting tracks?

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, C. L. GunningCook wrote: <snip> (...) As other people mentioned--Dremel is the bestest thing for them! I use a Dremel and 400 grit sandpaper--not much else. If you want to shoot me an e-mail detailing what you're trying (...) (19 years ago, 20-May-05, to lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Cutting tracks?

(...) I think that's the ATLAS Saw It's been around for probably 30 years and it's a good thing... works on metal (slowly) or plastic... (URL) 3 bucks USD or less. (19 years ago, 20-May-05, to lugnet.parts.mod)

  Re: Cutting tracks?

(...) I thought LEGO "promised" that LEGO track would always be the old dark grey??? rob FUT - lugnet.color (19 years ago, 20-May-05, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.parts.mod, lugnet.color)

  Re: Cutting tracks?

"David Koudys" <dkoudys@redeemer.on.ca> wrote in message news:IGsHIv.n83@lugnet.com... (...) <snip> (...) I just use a modelers hand saw much like (URL) a homemade mitre box, simular saws can be found at hobby shops for about $10. I find the long (...) (19 years ago, 20-May-05, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Cutting tracks?

(...) NO! Only my opinon, but the tool of choice is not a Dremel. If you do not already own a hand held rotary tool, I recommend a Black & Decker multi-speed. These are cheaper, more reliable, and most importantly they have a lower RPM and better (...) (19 years ago, 20-May-05, to lugnet.parts.mod, FTX)