 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13817
Re: RTL - train spec question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 3 Apr 2005 19:14:39 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:
LETS just pretend for a second that i had a wirless suger cube sized
video/audio transmitter/camera combo.

That would be very cool.

and lets just for a second say i wanted to MAKE a train car to have this
rest on (for me to bring to the upcoming train thing).  how big in
NORMAL lego units can i make the train car so that it will fit in
tunnles and such. (LxWxH) (1)

Here is the basic elevation diagram for the layout.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/derek/Train6/elevations.gif

So you can go a wide as 8 bricks and as high as 12 bricks 2 plates with
your wheels sitting on the track.  However this doesn't account for
curves.  So the wider you go the shorter the length of the car needs to
be so it won't cut to tight, or swing out too wide on the corners.  This
is a very tight layout especially on the upper loop.

So if you can keep the car to 6 studs wide, 12 bricks high (including
wheels) and 24 studs long it would be great.

Also if things like the power supply are a separate unit, consider
spanning two cars to help keep the cars smaller.

Finally if you need to borrow train car parts let me know.  I'm sure
Calum has extra you can borrow. :-)

Derek