 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13730
Re: RC racing track width
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:37:12 GMT

On 13-Mar-05, at 6:10 PM, John Guerquin wrote:
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.... what Derek said :)

5-foot wide is good.
I think that 3 cars at once is a MUST.  More fun, more crashes.

How many laps per race?  5?  10?  I guess that also depends which
batteries
everyone is using....

That's a good question.  I'm used to races based on time, not laps, but
it doesn't mater either way.  I would think around 10 would be good.

Like we discussed, I think there should be no size limitations.
In terms of motors/RC units - limits or no? I don't know how much
faster a Wayne
racer with 4 motors would be than a standard 2 motor car.

I don't think we need any serious restrictions...

And the  <http://guide.lugnet.com/set/8369_1 8369 Dirt Crusher RC> is
NOT
allowed....

Except of course this car.  Otherwise I'm bring my Kyosho Optima Mid.
Sure it's a 15 year old RC car, but it would still blow away any Lego
RC car.  Carbon Fiber chassis, belt driven 4WD, limited slip rear diff,
one-way front diff, electronic speed control, four wheel independent
suspension with adjustable shocks and springs, full set of ball
bearings, and a bunch of other stuff.  Helped that I worked at a hobby
store at the time.

That thing would go like stink.  The motor alone cost me more then the
Lego RC car.  Helped that I worked at a hobby store at the time.

Competitively  I was never all that good.  But man it was a lot of fun.

What about the racing format?  Simple elimination - you lose, you're
gone?
Or, you place 3rd twice or three times, and you're gone?  Derek?

The way RC races were run, "back in the day," there would be 3
qualifying rounds, and one final round.  The system guaranteed you got
to run 4 races.

So in our case, we setup heats of three cars.  The number of cars we
get will govern the number of heats.  We record the results of each
heat, then rank all the cars for the final.  The best three cars run
off in the A main, the next three in the B main and so on.

This kind of system is more fun for everyone since everyone gets to run
the same number of races.  It would suck to bring out a car and only
get to run it once or something.

Timing and scoring was done on a timed race.  Typically a 4 minute
race.  When time was called you would finish your lap.  Your score
would be the number of laps completed plus the time to finish your last
lap.  Or if timing and scoring wasn't computerized, when time was
called the cars would stop and your score would be the number of laps
plus a percentage of completion of your final lap.

Derek are lots of variations on this we could do.  Much depends on how
many car we get, how long the batteries last, and how easily they can
be charged quickly.

Derek