 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1363
Re: Lennon Mosaic
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:38:30 GMT

"Eric DeGiuli" <edegiuli@DIESPAMhome.com> wrote in message

Thanks, guys.  If you want, there is a brick paper template on Lego's • site:

www.lego.com/graph

I found that my printout was actually slightly imperfect, but that might
have been a printer setting, not sure..
I printed mine on really thin paper (tracing paper) so that I could • overlay
it over my original picture.

For the nose part that was created perpindicular to the rest of the • mosaic,
I did some calculations this morning to confirm that the 'fit' is perfect:

Let the dimensions of a 1x1x1 brick be 6/5x1x1 studs.
  Then the width of my nose piece is 5 plates * 1/3 (since they are • plates)
* 6/5 = 2 studs.
  The same length, in the normal part of the mosaic, is 2 bricks * 1 • (since
they are bricks) * 1 = 2 studs.

  The length of the nose piece is:  6 * 1 = 6, or 5 * 6/5 = 6.

So the general formula for a length in "units" that can be created both
vertically and horizontally with normal Lego pieces (ie bricks and plates)
is:
   A * 1/3 * 6/5 = B  * 1
   A * 2/5 = B
   A * 2 = B * 5,  where A and B are natural numbers.

  A represents the number of plates you have to stack vertically to get • the
length (in studs) B
  B represents the number of bricks you have to tile horizontally to get • the
same length.

It follows from the formula that if A is any multiple of 5 there is a
corresponding even number B that is an integer.
Likewise, if B is any even number there is a corresponding multiple of 5 A
that is an integer.

So there are many configurations of creating a block that will fit in
perfectly perpindicularly to the surrounding mosaic.
I hope someone can use this knowledge to their advantage.

--
Eric DeGiuli
http://members.home.net/edegiuli/

When you said, at dinner, that you liked math, you wern't joking.

:)

    Iain (who is constantly amazed by math but doesn't understand it)