 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13442
Re: OT: Cordless Phone Suggestions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:32:50 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
My old cordless phone at home gave up the ghost....

So I am looking for suggestions on what to replace it with based on my
requirements...

Usability:
1) Must have - good battery
2) Must have - adjustable (loud) volume, as I have used some I can't hear at all
3) Must have - handset page function so I can find the darn thing
4) Must have - at least two handsets with separate charger bases for
the alternate handset(s).
5) Nice to have - intercom function between the handsets
6) Nice to have - headset jack on the handset (plus some way to clip
the handset to something like a belt)
7) Nice to Have - Speaker phone on the base
8) Not required - Caller ID (don't pay for it)
9) Not required - Integrated answering machine (already have a digital
answering machine)

Technical Specs:
Not a clue....
MHz?   Recommendations?
Security/Encryption?
Analog/Digital?
Others?

Any suggestions from the Technocrati out there?

(Oh - should also be available in the GTA :)

-Rob A>

We use Uniden TRU-8885 in the house.  Costco had a special 3-handset-plus-base
pack for a reduced price.  Consumer Reports rated it fairly well, and it has
each of usability requirements you specified (plus handset speaker and answering
machine - the remote answering machine function is a must-have).

The only issue I have is the range on the 5.8 gHz signal - the signal will start
to crackle at about 150 ft from the base (except for the handset-to-handset
2-way function).

There is another complaint, but it's from the time I left Handset #2 on top of
the car while doing yardwork, and lost it later that night somewhere between my
house and Circuit City.  The paging function doesn't work that far out.

-nick