 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13125
Re: Can I hang out here for a while until it's safe at lugnet.general?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2005 01:24:08 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Gerhard R. Istok wrote:
Hello folks in Toronto.

I thought I would hang out here for a while, until the Lego uncivil war is
over....  Since I live in St. Clair Shores Michigan, a northern suburb of

Hey, sure!  You can be a conscientious objector or a draft dodger up here :)

I have a 1962 Canadian Samsonite Lego catalog.  I am pretty sure that Lego first
came to Canada in 1962, is that correct?  TLG's own website timeline says

I just checked all of my Lego catalogs (hermetically sealed in a hyperbaric
semianechoic storage chamber--actually, stored in a plastic bucket) and the
oldest I have is 1979.  No comments about how long Lego has been Canada.

Samsonite of Canada (a Beatrice Company) relinquished the license of Lego in

Heh.  I just noticed that on a 1984 catalog.  I wonder if it's the same Beatrice
that makes dairy products and is now owned by Parmalat?

pieces).  It was a great opportunity, and later, I got a call from Henry
Wiencik, the author of THE WORLD OF LEGO TOYS, who interviewed me over the phone
for the book (I'm mentioned on page 30).

I noticed that--DaveK lent me his copy (I think Lego Canada gave it to him as a
wee ol' lass) and I noticed you in there!

The relationship between TLG and Samsonite of Canada appears to have been a
rather friendly one.  I mean today TLG celebrates anniversaries based on the
1962 date, correct?  Well in the USA the relationship between USA Samsonite

I sure wish I knew more about this...all I remember was once trying to visit
Stratford and finding the Lego factory based on this address.  All I found was a
Lego model of the Stratford Theatre :(

1972 date.  So they had their 25th anniversary in the USA the year after you
folks celebrated your 35th anniversary in Canada.  Go figure.

Didn't they sell a bunch of anniversary buckets?

Anyway, I wanted to say HELLO!

Hello Gary and thanks for visiting us up here--stay awhile! :)

Calum