 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12591
Re: The Incredibles Monorail Thingy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:47:36 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen wrote:
Took the family to The Incredibles last night...most excellent!

I loved the set design (do you call it set design when it is all CG?)
and one thing that jumped out was the egg-shaped monorail/personal
transport thingy on the island.  Extreme cool.

I saw the Incredibles last Friday.  I thought it was a little scary but overall
quite good.  Pixar doesn't seem to be able to do any wrong.

I also caught a reference on slashdot a while back about a company
(Taxi 2000) trying to sell a similar thing called the SkyWay Express
<http://www.skywebexpress.com/> thatlooks very similar.

Iain Hendry is a huge fan of these mini monorails, called PRT (Personal Rapid
Transit) There's a number of them, most notably the Morgantown PRT and the
incredible CabinenTaxi.

http://web.presby.edu/~jtbell/transit/Morgantown/
http://faculty.washington.edu/~jbs/itrans/cabin.htm

Any thoughts on how something like this could be built in Lego?  I've
never actually touched Lego monorail, so don't know if it could
support little pods rather than train type cars...

The monorail I think is powered by a cylindrical shaped motor that's in the
middle of the two cars included in the set.

Derek built a monorail which uses old train track.  Perhaps with more work you
might be able to make it look like the PRT from the Incredibles!

http://peach.mie.utoronto.ca/events/lego/lego-081101-derekmonorail.jpg

He'd probably know more about how feasible it would be customized to fit the low
flat shape in the movie.

Calum