 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 12510
Re: The Toy Blox - Lego Superstore!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 20:21:26 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Gil Shaw wrote:

The new super Lego store in Whitby is The Toy Blox as mentioned upthread.

They are still unpacking everything and once that is done, they will be setting
up tonnes of new stuff as well as......PICK A BRICK!!!!  Truly awesome.

Just a follow-up on the Toy Blox in Whitby, Ontario...  Dropped by there today
(Nov. 25) and they're still setting up a few things.

But their "Pick-A-Brick" section, as it currently exists, warrants some
explanation:

Right now their Pick-A-Brick consists almost entirely of used pieces.  I've not
seen LEGO sold like this before in a retail setting.  It looks like they have
been collecting as many old, used pieces as they could find from whomever would
give it (or sell it?) to them and are simply re-selling it.  Not sure if they
will be setting up a "real" Pick-A-Brick with the big bins and new pieces...I
never spoke to the staff.

Though there appeared to be some newer pieces mixed in, it looked like 80% of it
was used pieces you could sort through and select whatever you want.  They have
a random assortment of used pieces on two tables, and another table with only
Duplo pieces.  They also have six or seven plastic bins with drawers, full of
pieces sorted by colour and sometimes by type.  Many of the pieces are very old
and worn out, so they did not appeal to me at all - but there were certainly
some "gems" within it all, if someone is willing to take the time and sort
through it: Classic Space pieces, large wing pieces, wall pieces, trees and
branches, etc.  But it would probably take you half an hour or more,
realistically, to sort through it all.  I just didn't have the time.

Instead of a Pick-A-Brick bag, you use a small plastic tray (roughly 4" x 6"
inches, and 2" deep.) to select your pieces.  Cost is $1.50 per ounce for
anything in the drawers and $1.00 per ounce for whatever was on the tables.

As for sets, from what I can remember, there were many that you would not
normally find elsewhere, other than S@H:

3443 Mosaic (Tiger only)
10020 Santa Fe Super Chief, plus many other Train cars and accessories
10027 Train Engine Shed
10041 Main Street
10152 Maersk Sealand
Star Wars:  Cloud City, Imperial AT-AT
Dacta:  Windows and Doors

And of course, lots of the usual current sets you would find anywhere...

Certainly a good store for selection, but the prices are certainly not any
better than Wal-Mart or Toys-R-Us.  I hope they bring in a "real" Pick-A-Brick.

Chris.