 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11977
Re: Brick sorting and 4L Ice cream pails
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 00:12:17 GMT

G'Day
I find you need to 'haunt' various $ stores, once in a while you can come
across fairly large containers for a buck.
Cheers
Oliver
Play well!
or rather Sort Well!

"Rob Antonishen" <rob.antonishen@gmail.com> wrote in message
I was at Dave K's a couple of weekends ago and saw he sorts out his
bricks (mainly) using 4L square ice cream pails (like Chapman's comes
in).  I like this, because they are a nice size, and fit very well on
shelves (as they are square).

Now most of my blocks are just dumped haphazardly in a variety of
(big) Rubbermaid bins, with a few Plano cases for the smaller parts
(mini-fig, accessories, technic bits and pieces) that I get really
anal about, but I've never gotten around to sorting them out, partly
because I never wanted to drop a great deal of cash on bins.

After my kids and I ate half a pail of Dave's ice cream in a valiant
attempt to provide him with another sorting bin, I figured while this
is a great idea, I don't have the  constitution to consume the 25ish
pails I would need for myself, and figured there had to be a better
way.

After-all, if Chapman's can buy these things and sell them full of ice
cream for 5 bucks, the pails must cost them significantly less than
that.  Looking at the bottom, I see they are made in Canada by Ropak
(Linpac) (who have a really crappy web-site. by the way).

I called the toll free number and got the local distributer (Hamilton).

I am still waiting for the details, but a ball park minimum order of
brand spanking new, nice clean (with lid) 4L square food grade retail
packaging HDPE pails would be about 250 (1 palette) for around $1.50 -
$2 per pail.

Now I don't need 250 pails, and don't want to be out of pocket for the
$500 I'd need.  So before I go any further investigating this, would
anyone in RTLToronto also be interested a group purchase of these
types of containers for that kind of price?

How does it compare with other (retail) containers that people have • purchased?

-Rob A.