 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11821
Re: Human Powered Helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 03:54:55 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Ivan Louch wrote:
All of this said, would anyone actually happen to know why this technology seems
to be widely used only by the “Soviets” and only for military applications? Or
at least am I not aware of any commercial co-axial rotor designs.

I think there was also a small Canadian built UAV for the US Navy that used
counter rotating coaxial rotors...

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/cl-327.htm

But even if not coaxial (ie, CH-47) there doesn't seem to be any any out there
with counter rotating rotors.  Maybe they started on one way and given the risk
of aerospace projects, never decided to stray from the usual?  Or maybe there's
a limitation we don't know about that type of design?

- No one reads these anymore.

Calum
--I do.