 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11820
Re: Human Powered Helicopter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 2004 01:11:09 GMT

I can't help but think those blades look disproportionatley large for the
size of guy who has to pedal the damn thing.  :)  But that's really awesome!

Even though he only has to spin the rotors at 6.2 rpm and the total weight of
all four blades is only 55.4kg, the sheer size of the “wing-span” is indeed
daunting!

Love the counter rotating blades.  No tail-rotor!

Ohh the co-axial rotors are just beyond sweet! I doubt I can sum it up any
better than folks at www.fas.org can, so I’ll just copy-paste:
“The coaxial counter-rotating rotor system negates the need for a tail rotor and
its drive system. Because of this, this aircraft is unaffected by wind strength
and direction, has an unlimited hovering turn rate, and gives a smaller profile
and acoustic signature, while allowing a 10-15% greater power margin”
(from http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/row/ka-50.htm)
I actually had a rather rare chance to see one of the Ka-50s in action at an air
show, and let me tell you what a difference! The typical deafening helicopter
“thumping” noise is nearly non-existent, and the only real noise signature is
the whooshing of the turbines and that’s only when the heli is heading away from
you.
That’s not to mention superior aero-performance and nearly foolproof
rotor-blade safety.
All of this said, would anyone actually happen to know why this technology seems
to be widely used only by the “Soviets” and only for military applications? Or
at least am I not aware of any commercial co-axial rotor designs.

Ivan
- No one reads these anymore.