 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11524
11523  |  11525
Subject:
IKEA - GLIS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 2004 12:58:54 GMT

So I was at IKEA last night, just looking around.  Wanted to get that
extended shelf for my Jerker computer table.  But it looks like my older
black framed Jerker desk is incompatible with the newer silver framed
ones.  Sigh, but enough about companies changing things. :-)

So Calum and I were poking through the storage container section.  They
had these cute little containers sold in bundles of three.  They looked
handy for lego, but a little expensive for the volume I'd need.

Then Calum spotted this other container.  Much like a Plano box, for $4.
  Has three main compartments, that can each be divided into three.
Unlike Plano you get enough dividers for every chamber.

So I got 4 to try them out.  I wouldn't call them perfect, but they are
pretty good.  Particularly for a problem I've been trying to solve.
Unlike Plano boxes the lid doesn't lock down.  In fact the snap on the
lid has barely any grip.  So you can't stack them like books on a shelf
like Jeff VW does with his Plano.  The other kind of dumb thing is the
divider walls don't go all the way to the top so when the lid is closed
there is a small gap.  Big enough that a 1x brick can squeeze through if
encouraged.  However if you except that they can't be turned on their
side anyway, this isn't a problem.

Another problem is they don't fit IVAR shelving efficiently.  On the
narrow shelfs, if you put them on the shelf narrow side out you can only
fit one on the shelf, with not quite enough room for a second one beside
it.  On long shelfs you can get three on this way, again with not quite
enough space for a forth.  If you put them long way out then you can
only get one on the narrow shelfs, with not quite enough space to stack
them two deep, and only two wide on the long shelfs.

I'm going to go back to IKEA and see if there is a shelfing unit that
fits them more efficiently.

Details:

GLIS
$3.99
34 x 21 cm.
13.5" x 8.25"  (They don't list the height but it measures at 3.125")
The only colour they had was a translucent cyan-blue colour.

Anyway, the problem I've been trying to solve is breaking up my 1x1,1x2,
and 1x3 bricks.  Currently I've got them mixed together for each colour.
  This is to increase density so I don't have to have large numbers of
bins around me while building.  But I'd really like them separated so if
I need a bunch of 1x1 I don't have to root for them.  These bins are the
perfect size and divide in the right ways to be very useful for solving
this problem.

I've got four of them now.  I'll probably pick-up another 8.  Might try
a few of the small ones as well because they might fit well beside the
GLIS on the IVAR shelfs.  These would be good for those odd don't fit
anywhere pieces.

Derek

Derek