 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 11070
Re: rtlToronto 16: DARPA Eat Your Heart Out
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:59:15 GMT

Chris Magno wrote:

If I have a ~few~ million dollars I'd hire out the RTL core list
and a few others, then enter something like that DARPA game.

-------------picture it---------------------,

   What I picture is the whole group showing up with about a dozen different
robots (because everybody had good ideas, and no "best" idea could be settled
upon), and 11 of the 12 completing the qualifier faster than any other team.

Jeff Elliott wrote:

build an autonomous robot ground vehicle to traverse a 200-mile
desert on- and offroad course... in ten hours or less...

And you know what my most lasting impression was?  "This is
*just* like an rtl event."

   OK, but I *really* want to see a battery box navigating waypoints at 20 mph
(sorry, 9 m/s).

Of course, our batteries wouldn't make 200 miles, and it'd
be more like 200 hours.  But 1.3 mile course?... Hmmm.

   I'd love to see it - a *true* outdoors, off-road, long distance (at least a
couple hundred feet (60 m)).

--
Brian Davis