 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10720
Re: Great News!!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 20:21:10 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, David Laswell wrote:

This coming on the same February with a leap day in it, and the first leap
year in 8 years!!!!

You mean besides the one four years ago?  Yes, indeed, 2000 was a leap year.
Everyone knows that a year that's divisible by 4 is a leap year (well, barring
really young kids and such).  Lots of people also know that you end up with a
few extra days piling up if you stick to that plan for a long time (hence the
"recognized" birthdays of a few famous presidents), so every year that's
divisible by 100 is NOT a leap year.  However, a handful of people also know
that if you stick to that plan for a long time, you end up losing days at a
slower rate than you were gaining them, so every year that's divisible by 400
(like 2000) is still a leap year.  Even that is still imperfect, which is why
they'll sometimes have 1-3 seconds that fall between the two years and don't
belong to either.

AHh, but the issue was that, iirc, (and maybe I dont), 2000 *wasn't* a leap
year--but I could be wrong on that

Lemmee go check 2000 calendars...

D'oh!  My bad!  I once again have a faulty recollection!  Not unheard of.  And I
stand corrected.

Though I did read this recently (so it can't be that faulty, though it may),
that every year since 1954 (around the invent of the atomic clock) that every
year since has had a 'leap second' on New Years Eve added due to the Earth
slowing down--every year except the last 3 years where no leap second was
required--the Earth has maintained the same rate of 'spin' for the last 3
years!!  We're not slowing down right now!

That's pretty good news.

Dave K
-who is willing to have his erronous ways corrected at any given time, except
this Feb 29--no corrections on that day please.