 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10713
Re: C$ -- its all over
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:20:48 GMT

this is how the final four breaks down:

Steve the guy we all Love to hate, came in First.  he earned it fair and
square.

new sig line?  maybe.

all in all, we had 12 robots show up that attempted some level of the
game, but very quickly lost out in the HARSH decision process of getting
to the final four.

I've been thinking there were 12, but you actually listed 14 robots below...

so all in all it was a GREAT event.

we were a bit tight for space due to some lesser event. (marble sorting
but really should have been called marble hoarding)

how things shaped up robot wise:

The first thing that seemed to slip the minds of most people is that one of the
goals of these rtl events is to build a robot that does something.  (and learn
something doing it)  Strategies may vary, but the goal is to build a robot!  :)

I think several people/teams had a good strategy/game-engine, but most were
lacking that first thing.

Another critical item:  As many people discovered, using a light sensor to
detect chips was a BAD idea.

Here are some (big) pictures.

Steve  -- used 6 cyber touch sensors to poke a column at a time

Total of ten touch sensors and two rotation sensors, connected to five sensor
ports.  zero light sensors.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/a_connect_four_robot.jpg

Derek -- used a light sensor (successfully)

This needs a much better description.  I'll try.  This was the only robot which
successfully used a light sensor to detect chips.  He did that by moving a light
around the opposite side of the board.  Very cool.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/derek1.jpg

John -- random 7.  nice deployment arm

Broust (sp?)  Used pnumatics to release the chip, and the 12 cylinder engine
from the Power Puller to run the compressor to charge the air tanks.  :)

He never had any problem detecting opponent chips.  Ok, so he never tried.
Crappy strategy.  Solid robot.  Tied for third.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/lucky.jpg

Vitalli -- 6 light sensors to scan, great arm to swivel them back and forth

nice idea.  But it used light sensors, so it was blind.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/fc_vs_vitalli2.jpg

Chris -- one poking touch sensor

I think there's a motor added to the top of this tower for extra weight!?
Leaning tower of LEGO...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/chris2.jpg

Bruce -- one poking touch sensor

good, solid design.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/bruce1.jpg

Michael P - one poking touch sensor

Actually, he used one Light sensor.  That was his downfall.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/fc_vs_mikep2.jpg

Greg - the Dipstick from the top

Worked great every day this week.  Except Saturday.  Continued working when we
returned home.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/dipstick.jpg

Dan/Jen/Dave - ??? I don't remember.. all I remember was the animated
GUY, and the mini- connect 4 game board. sorry

I didn't get to see the robot, or the guy, in action.  :(

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/dan_jen_dave2.jpg

Alex - 12 !!! light sensors

Maybe light sensors will work, if you use more of them.  :)  Actually, his
downfall was signaling EOT.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/fc_qualifywin.jpg

Steve - # 2 - NOTHING but a tyre as a weight, and motor to drive a dispensing track

It could have tied for third, but it didn't really compete.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/GravityBased/p1060091.jpg

Mattais -- didn't get a chance to see
Trevyn -- didn't get a chance to see

same here.  :(

Calum/Mario -- cyber touch sensors to scan many at once.

Would have been nice when it was finished.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Hassenplug/Contests/rtl15/calum.jpg

Overall, it was a very tough (and fun) challenge.

Steve
"Steve ... came in First.  he earned it fair and square." - Chris