 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10706
10705  |  10707
Subject:
C$ -- its all over
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2004 14:18:03 GMT

What a whirlwind of a day.

I've been busy with personal commitments for the remainder of the week,
so have not had a chance to talk about C$.. with that said....

this is how the final four breaks down:

Steve the guy we all Love to hate, came in First.  he earned it fair and
square.

Second place went to RTL's very own  Derek R who showed up with a solid
BLACK WALL of lego.

and

A very strange TIE went to Third place.

Vittali (sp?) ties John (sorry no last name) who came up with Steve from
some country south of Canada.  this is was an interesting match because
While BOTH robots were very reliably mechanically, Vitalli had a problem
with his light sensors, while John was using a XR7 core engine.

(in other words a random 7 robot tied with a robot that had a nice
engine but was blind)

all in all, we had 12 robots show up that attempted some level of the
game, but very quickly lost out in the HARSH decision process of getting
to the final four.

to note, we also had about 3 (ish) robots that tried very hard, but
could not make it up to the qualification rounds.

SOON someone will post pictures.  I was running the event and was sans
camera.

As has been posted elsewhere in the group, we had a number of core
engines.  now that the game is over, they can be discussed openly.  so
that others who want to try can have a go.

on the top of the engine list was Pomikis:

http://www.pomakis.com/~pomakis/c4/

this guy, posted some c code for a computer game of C$, and freely
offers it to the world.  as well, he made it so that it was VERY easy to
port to any thing else.

Steve, Kevin C, Mario/Calum all used this as a basis of a core engine.

Michael P, Derek, ran independently created code, as did, Dan/Jen/Dave,
Trevyn, mattias...

Alex, and Vittali both had FANTASTIC ROBOTS, too bad that they are very
shy and never post here, or talk to me during the game.  so i know
NOTHING about what they had.

Greg (from the south) had some unique code, and John (the random 7 guy)
had a "bell curve" slant to his randomness.

so all in all it was a GREAT event.

we were a bit tight for space due to some lesser event. (marble sorting
but really should have been called marble hoarding)

who had robots:

Steve
Derek
John
Vitalli
ME
Bruce
Michael P
Greg
Dan/Jen/Dave
Alex
Steve - # 2
Mattais
Trevyn
Calum/Mario

who else am I forgetting???

how things shaped up robot wise:

Steve  -- used 6 cyber touch sensors to poke a column at a time
Derek -- used a light sensor (successfully)
John -- random 7.  nice deployment arm
Vitalli -- 6 light sensors to scan, great arm to swivel them back and
forth
ME -- one poking touch sensor
Bruce -- one poking touch sensor
Michael P - one poking touch sensor
Greg - the Dipstick from the top
Dan/Jen/Dave - ??? I don't remember.. all I remember was the animated
GUY, and the mini- connect 4 game board. sorry
Alex - 12 !!! light sensors
Steve - # 2 - NOTHING but a tyre as a weight, and motor to drive a
dispensing track
Mattais -- didn't get a chance to see
Trevyn -- didn't get a chance to see
Calum/Mario -- cyber touch sensors to scan many at once.

I'll  post more, but for now I will allow others to add to this.

Chris
There's no 'I' in 'team'.  There's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'.