 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10697
10696  |  10698
Subject:
rtlT15 Wrap-up...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 02:53:33 GMT

Well, I for one, beyond being completely and utterly hosed (a Canuck phrase
meinging totally exhausted, among other things, translated for my Amwerican
visiting friends :)), had a great time!

It was great to see the wonderful turnout.  The 'bots were very impressive, even
the ones the didn't work very well.  I never had the time to see an actual C$
competition, however.  The good news is I got to look at many of the 'bots there
and they were great!

I am personally happy that the events were held in the same room, though I'm
sure that others probably thought it was a little too packed.

Now that I know a little bit more of what running an event entails, my hat goes
off to Chris and Calum--wow!  All these years... nicely done!

More than that, going thru my pics now and tentatively plan to have some sort of
page of pics up soon.  I didn't have time to take too many, and most were of the
marble sorting--y'know, marble sorting--the real game that went on today.

Anyway, DaveE, Jen and Dan B, great meeting you and putting a face to the
writings.  Steve, thanks for making the trip (again).  All the rest of you
rtlers, I'm off to bed so don't go calling me.

Dave K
-who is thinking that the 4x4 arena needs a wee bit of work, but was pretty
good.  Me thinks that the next competition should see an 'alternate from the big
competition'... say, maybe Marble Sorting revisited--this time with one
additional rule that your 'bot must be parked on your square at the end of 3
minutes, or it's an automatic loss.  Maybe also knock the competitoin down to 2
minutes--not many scores changed in that last minute except by pure chance.

Anyway, I'd run another 'mini-competition' if folks want one--ideas are marble
(again), block sorting (or stacking) or here's one I've been mulling over for a
long time--black pop cans are randomly put in the field--your 'bot must go find
'em and bring 'em back to your square.  At the end of 3 minutes the person with
the most *standing* popcans on their home square wins.

I'd paint the walls white in order to facilitate better scanning techniques.
It's just an idea.

Dave K
-oh, i've done that already... ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....