 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 1032
1031  |  1033
Subject:
train2 Planning: Modular Tables, DCC and more!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 27 May 2001 05:18:44 GMT

Hi folks,

Thanks for a great day today at Richview Library-it was a spectacular
turnout of Train enthusiasts.  It was far beyond what I had expected to see
and really an incredible start to an entire new set of activities for
rtlToronto.

In the next few days, please mail me your digital photos for inclusion on
the rtlToronto photo archive pages, or alternatively, post them up on your
own webpage and share the link with everyone here.

Of course, the biggest question is, when's the next one?  Well, rtlToronto8,
the sixth robotics competition is only two weeks away on Saturday, June 9th.
Chris has already booked Lillian H Smith Branch for October, which means
train2 could go perhaps around August, spaced out two months, alternating
between train and robotics.  Is August a good time for folks or is everyone
taking vacation then?

Two things I think would be good for train2 (in order of priority) would be:

1. Modular layout tables
2. DCC train control

Modular Layout Tables are inexpensive platforms for building a Train layout
on that can be easily carried in and out of a venue.  Basically it's a
30.25x30.25" piece of fibreboard or plywood (3/8" thick) with 1x2 underneath
it.  That's exactly three baseplates wide, by three baseplates.  You affix
your baseplates to the top of the board, perhaps with doublesided tape, or
nail your track, and paint the board an appropriate colour (ie, sea, sand,
grass).  The modules can sit on tables or have modular legs affixed as required.

Each person builds a module or modules depending on how much space they
need.  A Town might take up three or four modules, a small factory or
freight handling complex might be one or half a module.

For folks who don't have many buildings, they can still bring them, a couple
of common modules can be built with just track and paint for arranging free
form buildings.

Benefits of these modules include:  More organized layouts, where you know
which track is yours and which buildings are yours.  Easier disassembly and
assembly.  The ability to preplan a layout because you know the dimensions
of the surface.  Plus the added ability to do cool stuff like sunken
turntables, swimming pools, missile silos :), shallow river valleys and more!

PNLTC, the Pacific Northwest Lego Train Club, has designed a modular table
that is really easy to build.  In fact, I have already put together most of
one module, in less than half an hour.  If I can build it (with guidance
from Chris, thanks!) anyone can.  All you need is a saw, a drill, and a
screwdriver. Currently I put together only the single lip of 1x2, but I'll
finish up with the lower lip as well by train2.  The tables are really
cheap.  $20 gets you enough material to build three modules-just a 4x8'
sheet of board (HomeDepot will cut it for free to size) and a couple of
sticks of 1x2" plus a tub of 6x3/4" screws.  Check out the plans here:

http://www.pnltc.org/Modular_Table.html

It also means in the future, if we do a joint show with some other LTC, we'd
be somewhat compatible.

DCC stands for Digital Command Control and is a model train industry
standard for controlling multiple trains on one track.  Today we had two
rings, which worked actually pretty well, but also meant that we couldn't
really make use of all of the locomotives out on the layout at once.  What
I'd like to propose is that I start a small proof of concept DCC system.  At
train2, we'll run one segment of the layout on DCC (ie, a switching yard,
one loop etc) and another in the traditional sense.  Gradually, people will
convert to DCC motorpacks if they think the system is cool and worth it, if
not, well, we don't all have to jump at once.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to train2 now, even if I have a robot to
build for r8 in less than 14 days.  I have to reformat Saraville into three
modules.  It's actually rather liberating, as now the harbour will sit a two
or three inches from the floor.

Calum

Calum