 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10253
10252  |  10254
Subject:
Lego Beth and her While You Were Out renovation
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 07:29:39 GMT

I got a note from Nadine a few weeks ago:

Hey Calum,

Thought this might strike a chord :)

While You Were Out
Deerfield: The Blue Room

Beth is crazy about Legos, an obsession that has managed to take over her
whole home to the annoyance of husband Jay. She is willing to have their
living room transformed into an ^Ñadult room^Ò and to finally LET GO of
the LEGO!

So, I finally watched it this evening.  Some comments:

a) Who the hell is this Evan Farmer character?  What a dork!  I can't believe
they traded him for Teresa Strasser.  Alas, Teresa knew she was too good for
this show.  Even then, she was no Paige Davis.  And Paige Davis is no Rachael
Ray.  And Rachael Ray is no Alton Brown, king of the do it yourselfer hosts.

b) The carpenter guy rocks.  I like him more than Ty on Trading Spaces.  He's
competent, like Amy Wynn.

c) Chayse Dacoda seems awfully smug.  I don't like her or the way she seemed to
deride Beth, the homeowner.  I mean, yeah, it's a little wacky, but she didn't
have to be mean about it.  All of them were really nasty when they were moving
the Lego out of the room.  I'm no "let's carefully sort Lego into plastic
hermetically sealed acid free bags!" AFOL wacknut but they weren't respecting
the homeowners' property the way they would clear out any other room.

d) The room Chayse designed was quite nicely done.  I have to say Beth's
previous room was pretty damned garish.  The giant Lego head...holy.  I'm not
sure I'd have such a prominent room for Lego so obviously displayed.

e) The clock prize was ugly.  Seriously.  Beth was right.  Ick.

f) WTF is with "water features" and this show?!  They keep giving away these
dribbling water things.  Who the hell wants a dribbling water fountain in their
living room?!  That thing is about as tacky as stuff you'd find at a flea
market.

g) Beth appeared to be a really nice person.  Not what I'd expect most Lego fans
to be.  Reminded me a lot of Christina Hitchcock in her mannerisms.

I'm not sure where I stand on this episode.   Part of me says, well, Beth put herself up to it, no one forced her to apply to the show, but I didn't like the way Beth was treated.

At least the room looked good.

Calum