 Organizations / Canada / OBB / 429
Re: A Call for Open Communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.obb, lugnet.loc.ca.on, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 23:02:39 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I second being up for an open and frank discussion.

I can not speak for rtl, but I can speak for OBB, and I can say without a doubt,
we have always wanted every theme and skill level represented and included in
any public displays we have done.  If our communication has not conveyed that
then I take full responsibility.

On a group level, prior to this proposed discussion and without being privy to
any other background details, my gut feels that the fragmentation of the local
LEGO hobbyists will ultimately be damaging to us on a whole and overwhelming,
especially to new comers.  I would never suggest that is the intention, nor do I
feel I have any right to decide (as ultimately everyone is going to do what they
want for themselves), my predictions come from my own involvement and community
observations.  I feel if we all work together, and keep an open mind, we have a
better chance of meeting the majorities needs.

HOWEVER, I will not deny, (and I have publicly said this as well) the apathy and
lacking social skills of many AFOLs make organizing displays and other
activities taxing at best.  I will also be that first to admit, after many years
of trying, I have become jaded/lazy around getting commitments and responses
when emails and other communication go unanswered.  Often I propose events,
activities etc, but often, as the case, I hear nothing back from the majority of
people that were contacted, over the last 3 years or so I have moved on from
begging for responses to just doing things I feel I can handle.  Moving forward
on items is not an act of defiance or control, it is just an act of exhaustion.

On a personal level, I am focused on Brickfete, and its future.  We have a new
venue, lots more space and some fun ideas going forward. Promotion for this
event is my main concern, (bankruptcy is not an option), so I would hope that
all groups (including the many different Canadian based LUGS) in existence
continue their support of this event.

Respectfully submitted,
Janey Red Brick